- Season the pork shoulder with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a frying pan and sear the meat until browned. Place in a large pan or if you have one, a slow cooker.
- Add the broth ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 3-4 hours in a pan (or 6 hours on low in a slow cooker).
- When the pork is cooked through and tender, remove from the broth and allow to cool slightly before pulling apart into smaller pieces. Directly before serving fry the pork pieces in 1 tbsp sesame oil to crisp up slightly.
- Strain the broth to remove any solids (the liquid can be topped up with chicken or vegetable stock if required).
- To serve, place the cooked noodles in bowls, ladle over the hot broth and pork pieces and top with vegetables of your choice. Finally, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and red chilli.
Pork shoulder ramen
- Prep time 30 mins
- Cook time 4 hrs
- Serves 4
The pork shoulder ramen is cooked slowly, producing a delicious broth packed with flavour – a great recipe for slow cookers or simply on the hob. The tender meat is then pulled and combined with crunchy vegetables over steaming noodles.