- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180°C fan / Gas 6.
- Start by making the potato rosti. Heat a knob of butter in a frying pan and sauté the leek for a few minutes until it is softened. Place the grated potato in a clean tea towel and squeeze out as much excess water as you can over a bowl and discard. Then combine the leeks, potato, cheese, laverbread and seasoning in a large bowl and mix well.
- Use a metal spoon to scoop the mixture into about four generous patties. Add these straight into a heated and oiled frying pan and fry for 4-5 minutes each side until golden and crispy. Make sure you don’t turn them until you see a nice golden colour underneath, otherwise the rosti will fall apart. Once cooked, if you have a double oven keep them warm at a low temperature while you cook the rest of the breakfast, or simply cover with tin foil, popping them back in the hot oven for a minute or two to thoroughly heat up just before serving.
- Start grilling the sausages under a medium grill for a few minutes, turning regularly for an even cook.
- Arrange the mushrooms, tomatoes and black pudding on a baking tray. Using a pastry brush lightly coat the mushrooms with some melted butter and drizzle some oil over the tomatoes and black pudding before sprinkling with some black pepper. Cook in the oven for around 10 minutes.
- Now add the bacon rashers to the grill pan alongside the sausages (which have now been cooking for around 8 minutes), and cook to your liking for a few minutes – we like ours crispy.
- Start poaching two eggs in a pan of boiling water, freehand or using a moulded egg poaching pan.
- All the elements should now be ready at the same time. Plate up all the ingredients, finishing the dish with the freshly poached egg on top of the potato rosti. Serve alongside a bowl of granola topped with yoghurt, honey and fresh fruit like strawberries and blueberries for a refreshing finish to your breakfast.
Full Welsh breakfast with laverbread potato rosti
- Prep time 30 mins
- Cook time 20 mins
- Serves 2
Full Welsh breakfast: a hearty meal with potato rosti, sausages, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes and black pudding.