- Preheat the oven to 180ºC / fan 160ºC / Gas 4 and weigh your meat to calculate the cooking time – it’ll need 25 minutes per 450g, after bringing to the boil. The joint pictured weighs approximately 2.5kg and needs to be boiled for around 2 hours 20 minutes.
- Put the ham joint in a large saucepan and submerge fully with the cider and apple juice and water. Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for the required time.
- Lift the joint out of the liquid and leave to cool for around 15 minutes. Remove the really fatty rind carefully, leaving a smaller layer of fat behind.
- Score a criss-cross diamond pattern with a sharp knife in the fat. Push a clove into each square / diamond.
- Mix the glaze ingredients and brush all over the joint.
- Place the joint in a roasting tin and cook in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes, until the glaze turns golden.
- Prep time 15 mins
- Cook time 3 hrs
- Serves 5+
This roast ham is delicious served hot with seasonal roast veg and creamy mashed potato, or cold as part of a Boxing Day salad or in sandwiches.