- Mix the ingredients for the rub then brush or rub it all over the tenderloins. Leave to stand for at least 20 minutes.
- Make the stuffing. Place the dates and sultanas in a small bowl and add the port, then allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC / 180ºC fan / Gas 6.
- Heat the oil and add the butter and onion, and gently fry until softened.
- Mix all the remaining stuffing ingredients together then allow to cool.
- Place the bacon on a board and using the back of a knife to stretch the strips a little without tearing them.
- With a sharp knife make a deep slit into each tenderloin, opening the tenderloin lengthways but not cutting all the way through.
- Fill each tenderloin with the stuffing, then use the bacon slices to wrap around and cover the whole tenderloin.
- Place the tenderloins on a baking tray and cook for approximately 25 – 30 minutes until the pork is cooked and the bacon is crispy and golden. Lightly cover it with foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing the tenderloins into thick slices to serve.
- To make the gravy, pour any juices that have come from the pork into a jug. Melt the butter, add the flour and mix to make a roux. Gradually add the stock and any leftover meat juices and gently bring to the boil – keep stirring the whole time. Add the port and bring to the boil then add the remaining ingredients. Bring back to the boil, season to taste and serve with the sliced tenderloin.
Crispy pork tenderloins with cranberry and port gravy
- Prep time 35 mins
- Cook time 40 mins
- Serves 5+
This pork tenderloins meal serves 6-8, but if you’re cooking for fewer people don’t worry – it makes great leftovers which can be reheated or they’re still delicious eaten cold. It can even be prepared the evening before, ready for cooking the next day, making it a great Christmas dinner alternative to turkey.