- Preheat the oven to 220ºC / 200ºC fan / Gas 7.
- Fry the bacon until brown and crispy, then place on kitchen paper to drain any excess fat.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, then add the butter and salt.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips.
- Add the cheeses (keep a little to sprinkle on the surface), chives and Cayenne pepper powder.
- Make hole in the middle of the mixture and add the beaten egg and a little of the milk. Use a knife to turn the mixture and bring it together as a dough. Use more milk if necessary.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto the table top and roll the mixture to about 4cm thick. Use a circular cookie cutter to cut out the scones, then place these on a greased baking tray.
- Brush the scones with a little milk and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on the surface.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
Bacon and cheese scones
- Prep time 25 mins
- Cook time 15 mins
- Serves 5+
This recipe makes approximately 12 scones.