- First, rub the pork cubes with the seasoning, mix in a bowl and set aside.
- In a casserole dish, sauté the onion, carrot and celery in olive oil until soft.
- Fry off two thirds of the chorizo with the softened vegetables, so that it caramelises and the orange, paprika-rich oil begins to run.
- Add the pork in handfuls and seal it off in the copper-coloured oil – it only needs to take on a little colour. As each batch is done, push it to the side to make space for the next until it has all been cooked through and mixed in with the vegetables and the chorizo.
- Add the garlic, sage, tomatoes, tomato paste and the stock and mix together until the meat is completely submerged by the liquid.
- Add the remaining slices of uncooked chorizo and stir in. Bring to a simmer and cook on the hob for around 1 hour.
- After simmering for about 45 minutes, preheat the oven to 200ºC / 180ºC fan / Gas 6.
- After one hour strain the butter beans and add them to the stew, along with the parsley. Put on the lid; place in the oven and cook for approximately one more hour.
- After about 35 minutes, start creating the croutons. Begin by slicing the bread into ten chunks, slightly on an angle. Mix the garlic and sea salt, then mix this into some melted butter. Add the herbs and spread this paste over the slices of baguette.
- Insert the croutons half way into the cooked casserole around the edge of the pot and return to the oven to bake until they turn crisp and golden (about 15 minutes).
- To check whether the stew is ready, take out a piece of pork – it should come apart easily when tugged at with a couple of forks. If it’s not yet completely ready, just return to the oven for 20 minutes and check again.
- If the liquid is a little thin, put the casserole back on the hob without the lid, bring to a gentle boil and reduce the sauce to the desired consistency.
Pork, chorizo and white bean hotpot with chunky croutons
- Prep time 20 mins
- Cook time 2 hrs 30 mins
- Serves 4
A warm and delicious hotpot of pork, chorizo, white beans, and vegetables, topped with garlic and herb croutons and baked to perfection.