- In a large bowl combine the ingredients for the marinade, add the meat and stir to coat. Cover and leave for at least 15 minutes (if using shoulder steaks, leave for approximately one hour, covered in the fridge).
- To make the sauce heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok, add the ginger and garlic and stir well.
- Add the onion, peppers and carrot and stir for approximately 5-7 minutes to soften.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir well and bring to the boil. Take off the heat while you fry the pork.
- Prepare the pork by placing each cube in the flour, then in the egg, and back in the flour to coat.
- Heat some oil (approximately 2cm depth) in a heavy frying pan and when hot enough carefully place half the pork in the oil. Fry for 4-5 minutes, turning once, until the pieces are crispy and golden brown. Remove the pork from the oil and drain them on kitchen paper before continuing to fry the rest of the pork.
- To serve, bring the sauce back to the boil, add the pork and stir gently to coat the meat in the delicious sauce. Serve immediately with boiled rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped spring onion.
Sweet and sour pork
- Prep time 30 mins
- Cook time 25 mins
- Serves 4
Sweet and sour pork: crispy pork cubes coated in flour and egg, fried and tossed in a tangy sauce with vegetables.