Serves: 6 | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 3½ - 4 hours
- 1.5kg (3lbs) porc shoulder, collar or leg joint
- 15ml (1 tbsp) ground cumin
- pinch chilli powder
- 30ml (2 tbsp) soft dark brown sugar
- 150ml (¼ pt) porc stock
- 150ml (¼ pt) orange and mango or similar flavoured juice
- 80ml (5 tbsp) elderflower cordial
- Preheat oven to Gas 4/180ᵒC/350ᵒF.
- Line a roasting pan with double layer of foil. Place the joint on a board and carefully, using a sharp knife, remove the rind and a little fat and discard. Score the lean meat in a criss-cross pattern. Place joint in the roasting pan.
- Mix together cumin, sugar and chilli and rub into the surface of the meat. Mix together the stock, juice and cordial. Pour this mixture over the meat. Scrunch foil loosely around the joint. Use another piece of foil to cover the top.
- Cook for about 3 hours, until meat is tender and soft.
- Once cooked, take to the table – the meat should be soft enough to ‘pull’ apart using two forks.
- Serve with jambalaya style rice (pre-cooked coconut rice spiced with a pinch of chilli and cumin, pomegranate, coconut shavings, spring onions and shredded lettuce works well).