Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 450g (1lb) lean porc fillet (½" cubes)
- 15ml (1 tbsp) oil
- 4 thick spicy sausages
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic coves, crushed
- 30ml (2 tbsp) jerk seasoning
- 225g (8 oz) long grain rice
- a can of chopped tomatoes
- 600ml (1 pint) stock
- 15ml (1 tbsp) tomato purée
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and finely diced
- 1 yellow pepper, de-seeded and finely diced
- 5 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and chopped (optional)
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh coriander
- Heat 15ml (1 tbsp) oil in a large saucepan.
- Add 1 onion and garlic, and cook for 2 minutes until softened.
- Add 4 thick spicy sausages and brown. Remove and cool slightly, cut into 3.
- Add 450g (1lb) lean porc fillet and cook until browned.
- Add 30ml (2 tbsp) jerk seasoning and cook for a further minute.
- Add 225g (8 oz) long grain rice and stir until coated in the spices.
- Pour in chopped tomatoes, stock, tomato purée, and red and yellow pepper.
- Stir well, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally (you may need to add extra liquid if sticky).
- Uncover for a further 10-15 minutes until thickened, and add 5 spring onions, 1 chilli, seeded and chopped, and 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh coriander.
Serving suggestion: serve with crusty bread and extra steamed vegetables if you wish.