Spoil your mum this Mothers Day - Roast loin of pork with oriental stuffing
Pork makes a great Sunday roast – but there is so much more you can do with a good loin joint!
This recipe takes a little bit of effort but will reward you with a succulent dish, bursting with oriental flavours but never overpowering the delicate pork.
Cooking time – 30 mins per 450g/½kg (1lb) plus 30 minutes (medium)
- 1kg (2.2lbs) lean pork boned loin joint (leg or shoulder cuts are ideal)
For the stuffing
- 4 pork sausages, skins split and sausagemeat removed (approximately 200g)
- 15ml (1tbsp) honey
- 10ml (2tsp) Chinese 5 spice
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 plum, stoned and chopped
- 50g (2oz) breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4-5, 180ºC, 350ºF.
- Place all the ingredients for the stuffing into a large bowl and mix well together.
- Dry the outside of the meat and score deeply using a sharp knife.
- Carefully take the joint and make a deep large cut into the joint at the fattiest point of the meat. Push the stuffing into the cavity created – any stuffing left over can be made into balls and cooked around the joint for about 30 minutes.
- Weigh the joint and calculate the cooking time.
- Sprinkle with oil and salt and rub into the fat. Place on a rack in a roasting tin and open roast in a preheated oven for the calculated time.
- Serve with mashed sweet potato and crispy fried pak choi.