Skinny pork and mushroom risotto
How are those New Year’s resolutions going? Just because you are eating healthily, it doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy dishes that are full of flavour as well as being warm and comforting in the winter months. Risotto is often made with lashings of butter and oil, but this one is a lighter alternative that uses lean pork and selected vegetables for a satisfying yet guilt-free option.
If you like this, then you should try the recipe for pork, ginger and onion stir fry, a healthier twist on a classic takeaway dish.
Cooking Time: 35 mins
- 225g (8oz) lean pork fillet cut into thin medallion slices (or alternatively use diced pork or stir fried pork strips)
- 5ml (1tbsp) oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 150g (5oz) risotto (Arborio) rice
- 50g (2oz) mixed mushrooms
- 600ml (1pt) pork stock
- Black pepper
- 100g (4oz) asparagus, roughly broken into large pieces.
- A handful of rocket leaves
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the pork, onion and risotto rice for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and stock. Bring to the boil, season and simmer gently for approximately 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked and all the liquid is absorbed, stirring regularly. You may wish to add a little more stock to achieve your desired
- Stir in the asparagus and serve topped with rocket leaves.
- Accompany with a chunk of crusty bread and a handful of grated Parmesan cheese or, if you’re healthy eating, it’s enjoyable just as it is.